Wednesday, October 8, 2014

One Place...Thousands Changed

A few days ago I was filling out a medical school application that required me to list all of the cities that I have had permanent residence in.  The application then required that I indicate which city I spent most of my childhood in, which city I lived in when I graduated from high school, and which city had the greatest impact on my life.  When I think about what city has most shaped my thoughts, goals, and dreams, Tegucigalpa, Honduras is the first place that comes to mind.

I wonder if my parents knew how much that first trip to Honduras 14 years ago was going to change our lives.  I wonder if my parents knew that taking their 3 kids to Honduras was going to completely change the way they thought about the world.  I wonder if my parents knew that a one week trip to Honduras was going to change the goals and dreams of their 3 children.  When I look back on the different circumstances that have shaped my faith and influenced my life goals, the trips to Honduras as a family are at the top of the list.  I'm thankful for parents who knew that their children needed to see a bigger picture of how so many people around the world live.

Honduras has impacted my life and influenced my dreams in so many ways, but I know that I'm not the only person that has been blessed by Honduras.  Since my family started taking trips to Honduras when I was in 7th grade, we have always stayed at Baxter Institute.  I am currently living and working at Baxter until June of 2015.  I always knew that Baxter was a special place, but the last month here has opened my eyes to what a difference this school is making throughout the world.

As I sit in Baxter's cafeteria typing this post, I can look up and see 15 different flags from all over Central and South America that represent the different countries of the students here.  Over the last month and half I have gotten to know the students better than ever before.  They have invited me into their homes to show me how to cook foods from their countries.  They have prayed with me, and shared their families with me.  They have shared stories with me from their home countries.  They have shared their hopes and plans for what they want to do after they graduate from Baxter.  They have become my family 2,500 miles away from home.

One thing that has amazed me most about the students here, is there passion to share The Good News of Jesus.  When you ask these students why they are at Baxter, they all tell you, "Because I want to be an instrument for God."  Each Sunday the students work at different churches around the Tegucigalpa area, and each week they come back with stories of how God worked in the lives of the people around the city.  Baxter is helping to build incredible leaders in the Church, and these men and women have an incredible love for the Lord.

The students at Baxter are using their gifts to grow the Kingdom of God!  When I think about a ministry that is obeying the Great Commission, I think of Baxter.  They are raising up men and women to go into ALL the world.  I have been so blessed and encouraged by the men and women that have taken me in and have made me feel like family!  They have taught me so much about sharing the Good News and about devotion to God.  Please join me in praying for the men, women, and children that are currently at Baxter.  Pray that they will be instruments in the hands of our Mighty God, and that God will open doors for them to share His Great Name with ALL of Latin America.

If you want to find out more about Baxter, or if you want to come see Baxter for yourself...check out our website!  We would love to have your support in this ministry!  www.baxterinstitute.org


No comments:

Post a Comment