Wednesday, February 18, 2015

All Over the World this Gospel is Bearing Fruit and Growing

All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth.  Colossians 1:6

Each season of life seems to bring new lessons.  This especially seems to hold true in my walk with God.  I sometimes I find myself longing to go back to the last season, which leads me to lose sight of my current surroundings.

I was recently recounting for one of the awesome medical students that is currently working for us at Baxter a season of life a few years back.  I was telling her about different challenges I was facing then, and how those challenges led me to some of the most intimate times with God that I have ever experienced.  Throughout that season, I would spend hours in the Word and on my knees in prayer in my office.  His presence was so easily felt in the quiet of my small office.  I would sometimes even go to my office on the weekend just to close the door and pray, because I knew that He would meet me there.  I knew that He would give me strength.  I knew that He would remind me of His promises.  He sustained me. He took hold of my right hand and led me through that season.

I look back on that season of my life and remember it with such a mix of emotions.  I remember the pain and hurt, but I also remember the way my God made His presence so tangible and real.  I felt God holding me closer than I had ever experienced before.

Sometimes it seems that God is so easy to feel, but I'm learning to seek Him even when it's hard to feel him.  I'm learning that my faith cannot be built solely on emotion.  I am learning that His character and His presence are not dependent on my feelings.  This season of life I'm learning to see Him in new ways.  What a beautiful adventure it is to serve the one true God.

I believe that God is teaching me something new and beautiful in this season of life.  Recently so many people have been drawing my attention to the beauty of God's work throughout the world.  These last 6 months have taught me so much about the power of God's Word and unity through the love of Christ.

My friend Yariel baptizing a new sister in Cuba!
Living at a school with 10+ countries represented by the students, faculty, and staff opens your eyes to the limitless power of God.  How can so many people who are so different know and love the same God?  God is showing me how He meets his children where they are and draws them to the cross.  He is showing me how the Good News of Jesus is the deepest need across the whole world. He is showing me the beauty of the Church around the world.  This truth amazes me and draws me closer to Him.

Ronald from Venezuela baptizing a new brother here in Honduras!
I know that when I leave Baxter I will have deep relationships with people in Bolivia, Cuba, Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Peru, Guatemala, Venezuela, Honduras, and beyond.  In this season of life God is teaching me so much through these incredible brothers and sisters.  He is teaching me the beauty of unity in Christ.  He is showing me that His love reaches so much further than I could ever imagine, and I am amazed!
Nine of our new Baxter students from four different countries!

I know that God's Church is growing in beautiful ways.  I believe that Jesus is the Best News no matter your age, race, gender, or economic situation.  I believe that we serve a God who meets us where we are and transforms us into who He wants us to be.  I believe that in this season of life I am learning new and beautiful things.






No comments:

Post a Comment