Thursday, March 14, 2013

It ALL Hinges on This ONE Truth

One thing...If I could pick just one thing that I want my teens at PV to remember and believe it would be just 4 simple words.

About a month ago we took a group of teens to a youth rally in Russellville, AR.  The theme of the weekend was, When Death Dies.  Throughout the course of the weekend we heard from various speakers who shared their stories.  Most of them shared stories about losing someone who was really close to them, and how the resurrection of Jesus Christ gave and continues to give them hope.  There were so many powerful moments throughout the weekend, but one short 6 minute video and 4 little words brought the whole weekend together for me.  I walked away from CHRISTeens with 4 words engraved in my mind that I pray I will never forget.

These 4 words are so simple, yet so powerful.  My whole life hinges on my belief in the truth of this simple statement.  Everything that I believe hangs on these 4 words.  And if these 4 words are true, which I believe they are, it changes everything!

 The tomb is EMPTY! 

It is such a simple phrase.  To someone who doesn't know the story of Jesus those 4 words probably don't mean much, but to someone who knows scripture and believes in Jesus these 4 words mean everything! I don't think I have been able to go a day since CHRISTeens without thinking about that little phrase.

I was never very good at picking out the climax of a story in my English classes growing up.  To be honest I wasn't very good at anything that had to do with my English classes in school, but if I had to pick a climax of the Bible it would have to be the empty tomb!  Everything preceding the resurrection points to Jesus and his resurrection, and everything after the resurrection points back to Jesus and his empty tomb and how that affects eternity.

I'm not a doctor yet, but last time I checked people who are dead for 3 days don't just come back to life.  It just doesn't happen!  BUT our Savior defeated death and walked out of that tomb.  He did what none of us would ever be able to do for ourselves.  And now, everything that I believe hinges on the fact that when people went back to Jesus' tomb, He wasn't there.  The tomb was empty, and it is still empty today.  This is so much more than just a story.

The empty tomb has to be the foundation of every piece of our lives if we claim to follow Christ.  If Jesus wouldn't have risen from the dead He would just be another dead man.  He would actually be another dead man who was a big fat liar. He kept telling His disciples that He would rise after 3 days, and if that wouldn't have happened He would have been a complete hoax.  Praise God that what He predicted was completely true!  His resurrection is true!  His tomb is empty!

Jesus came and died on the cross, was buried, and after 3 days He rose from the dead, and that changes everything!  The empty tomb changes how I react to situations.  The empty tomb changes how I live my life on this earth.  The empty tomb helps me to remember that this life is temporary.  My Jesus is alive and He is coming back for me!  The empty tomb is my hope in times of pain and trial.  The empty tomb is my joy in the face of suffering.  The empty tomb is my peace when the waters rise.  The empty tomb is what I know to be true.

I pray that this good news will be something that I can't keep to myself.  People have to know that my Savior defeated death and is alive.  His tomb is empty!  There is hope!  There is real life!  There is peace! There is something better to come!!!

You have to click on this link and watch this video by Josh Ross...The Tomb Is Empty .  This short video has spoken powerfully to my heart.  It has been such a powerful reminder in my life over the last month! Really...Watch It!!!

Don't forget...He is coming back for us!!! 


For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him.  Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:9-11



No comments:

Post a Comment