Tuesday, March 5, 2013

This Roller Coaster of Emotions

So over the last few weeks I have sat down numerous times to try to write down some of the different thoughts and emotions that have accompanied my last few months.  Each time I have tried to put my thoughts together, I just haven't been able to express myself the way that I have wanted.  So, here's to hoping that the words to come in this blog are an adequate representation of the past month.

Since last August I have been wrestling back and forth with the idea of going back to school.  I was so incredibly fickle.  I know Casey had to be getting frustrated, although he was so incredibly patient with me!  On any given day he could ask me what the chances were that I was going to leave and the answer could be 95% chance one day and 5% chance the next day.  I knew that I wanted to go back to school at some point, but I just couldn't stand the idea of saying good-bye to my teens and families that I love so dearly here in Little Rock.  There were days when I would sit in my office and just think about going back to school and start crying because I just didn't feel like it was a good time to leave.  And then I would sit there and think well, next year won't be a good time to leave, and the group after that...I love them so much too, and then the next year won't be a good time to leave either.  And then came the realization that I finally had to come to...When you love these kids and families as much as I do...THERE WILL NEVER BE AN EASY TIME TO LEAVE.  

Throughout the whole year I felt like God just kept telling me, do what you want to do, as long as you're seeking to honor me I will use you no matter what you choose.  That gave me so much peace.  I knew that God was not limited by my vocation, and that as long as I was willing that He could use me no matter where I went.  So at the end of December I finally  made my final decision that I would be going back to school with the hopes of going to medical school.

Once my decision was made there was a weight that just seemed to be lifted off my shoulders...well at least for a few days.  There was a peace that came with making my decision that could only come from God.

Then came January and the realization that I was going to have to tell the people that I love so much that I would be moving in just a few short months.  There were so many thoughts running through my mind as the February 10th parents meeting approached.  Above all, I wanted my kids to know that I love them so incredibly much and that this decision was not made without tons of prayer, fasting, and tears.

I was fully anticipating the week before my announcement to be absolutely miserable.  The Sunday before I was planning on telling my PV family I almost had to walk out of church because I was getting so emotional.  That Sunday night I cried myself to sleep somewhere between 12-1 am. I truly thought, this is going to be the longest week of my life...but then something happened.

That Sunday night as I was lying in bed crying myself to sleep I decided that I needed to spend some time in the Word.  So I pulled out my Bible and opened it up and started reading.  Normally when it's 12:30 in the morning I don't think to myself...this would be a great time to read Exodus...but for some reason that night that was where I turned.  So, as I was reading through the story of the Israelites making their way out of Egypt my heart found a truth that I would find myself clinging to ALL week long.

As I read through the journey that the Israelites took, I found myself drawn to the image of God going before the Israelites in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.  He went before them and prepared the way.  He led them down the right path.  And in that moment, I found peace knowing that my God was already going before me and preparing the way.  That was the promise and the truth that I held on to all week long.

When I would start to get anxious or start to feel overwhelmed I remembered my God's promise that He would never leave me or forsake me.  I trusted that He was already going before me and preparing the way.  And that week...well sure it was still emotional, but I walked into that parents meeting on February 10th with a peace that surpasses all understanding, and a joy that can only come from our amazing God.

So since February 10th things have been up and down.  It has been a little bit of an emotional roller coaster.  I have felt sadness when I think about leaving PV and the people I love so much. I have also felt so much excitement about this next stage in my life and all the new and different opportunities that it brings.  I have felt incredibly blessed by so many people at Pleasant Valley who have poured so much love and encouragement into my life over the past month.  I have felt slightly overwhelmed as I have taken practice MCAT exams and tried to plan out how I am going to cram what feels like 100 different classes into the next year of my life.  I have felt a little anxious when I think about how I'm not going to have a job again until I am at least 30.  But above all, I have felt the peace of God.

So, I have two months left at Pleasant Valley before I head to OKC to start a different journey.  I don't know exactly what God has in store for me over the next few years, but I am so excited to find out.  I know that He will continue to go before me and prepare the way, and that He is already at work in ways that I can't even see.

If I had to sum up the last 9 months in one word...it would be BLESSED!  God has showed me over and over again through the ups and downs of the last 9 months that He has blessed me in more ways that I could ever count.  I am so thankful to serve the one true God.  The God who is alive!  This journey with Him is sometimes crazy, scary, and hard, but it is a blessing to be a little part in His big story!

No comments:

Post a Comment