Friday, January 27, 2012

He Gave What He Could!

Yesterday God gave me the gift of reminding me what it looks like to have the faith of a small child!

Yesterday as I was getting ready to pack up my office and go pick up a kid from school I had a little 3rd grader walk into my office and hand me an envelope with my name on it!  I was then told by this little boy, whom I had never met before, that the money in the envelope was for Haiti!  Our youth group is taking a group of 42 people to Haiti over spring break to help build an earth bag multi-purpose building as well as participate in a few other projects to help the community while we are there.  When I opened up the envelope it had $36 in it.

This little boy is in Mrs. Stafford's third grade class at the PV CAC campus.  Mrs. Stafford is planning on going with us to Haiti this Spring break with her two sons.  During class the other day the subject of Haiti came up and Mrs. Stafford got to tell her class about her upcoming trip.  Lots of her kids made comments about wanting to bring plastic bags to help us make sleep mats for the people living in Haiti and He came back the next morning with an envelope of money to donate towards our trip!

I'm guessing that he had probably been saving that money for a little while.  Thirty six dollars is a lot of money for a third grader! That the equivalent of a video game! He gave it right over to me with a big smile!  It was absolutely precious!  As he turned around and left my office I couldn't help but smile and be reminded of what a blessing it is to be able to work with kids and teens!

Stories like this remind me of why God calls us to have the faith of small children.  He found out that there were other little kids in another country that spoke a different language than him, who he would probably never meet, and who didn't have all the food and toys that he has here in the US and he wanted to do whatever he could to help.  He was willing to give up whatever it was that he was saving that money for, in order to help some other little kids that he had never met before.

I pray that my faith will grow to be like this little boy who was so willing to give to people he had never even met.  When I hear about a need I want to be willing to give what I can to bless others.  May I remember that although I might never have a mansion here on this earth that my God is building me one in heaven that is going to last a lot longer anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment