Sunday, January 29, 2012

Valuable Life Lessons!

Yesterday two moms and I took a group of 17 girls to Memphis for the Mid-South Girls Conference.  It was a wonderful day filled with awesome speakers and beautiful worship to our Perfect God!  There is something so powerful about having 500 girls in one room praising God together without any boys being a distraction!

The conference got done around 6:30, and we quickly took a few group photos then headed out.  We stopped to get some dinner and fill up the vans with gas before we pulled out of Memphis.  We drove up to the gas pump opened the little doors to the gas tank and quickly realized that someone had put new gas caps on the gas tanks.  That wouldn't normally be a big deal, BUT these gas caps had locks on them!  Apparently there have been some problems in Little Rock recently with people stealing gas.  All of this would have been fine and dandy if I would have known that these nifty new little gas caps had been installed,  BUT I didn't!  So I found myself at a Memphis gas station with only a quarter of a tank of gas and a group of twenty girls and locked gas caps!  I looked at the two moms with me and said, "One day we will laugh about this...but not right now!"

We finally got ahold of somebody back in Little Rock who knew about these funny little contraptions that had been put on our vans, and were reassured that the key was back in Little Rock and that we were going to have to break the gas cap!  My amazing moms quickly pulled out the tool kit that was under the back seat of one of the vans and showed that gas cap who was boss!!!  About a minute later she had that lock busted and the gas cap off and the van was filling up with gas!  I'm really surprised that during the thirty minutes that we were at the Memphis gas station banging on the screw driver with a wrench, that no one even questioned our presence!

The van had a full tank of gas, we celebrated our accomplishment, and then we hit the road! This little speed bump in our evening reminded me of quite a few things!

1.  It reminded me of how blessed I am to have awesome parents that volunteer to go with us on trips!
     Without them we wouldn't be able to do so many of the awesome things that we get to do!
2.  It showed me that after a long day (it was a great day, but it was LONG) I have to be VERY careful in
     controlling my emotions! I was definitely tired and frustrated, but I had to keep in perspective that things  
     really could have been a lot worse.
3.  I was reminded that I have the most awesome girls ever!  The whole time this was going on they just
     chilled in vans and let us try to figure out a solution!  They had great attitudes all day!
4.  I learned how to bust a lock with a screwdriver and a wrench, so if you ever need help breaking into
     a locked gas cap, I'm your girl!  (Leah Hart & Tamara Bellcock are also PROS!)
5.  Upon pulling into PV I was reminded that God blessed us with safety on our way home and was so
     thankful for an amazing day with my girls!

The past two years in youth ministry have taught me a lot!  Just add busting a cap to the list!  God has been so good to me!  He is so faithful in all that He does!

No comments:

Post a Comment