Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I Want a Faith Like That!

While reading about Abraham this morning I couldn't help but be amazed by his faith!

"The boy and I will travel a little farther.  We will worship there, and then we will come right back."  Genesis 22:5

Even though God has called Him to sacrifice His son on the mountain, Abraham never stops believing that God is going to provide.

"We have the fire and the wood," the boy said, "but where is the sheep for the burnt offering?"  Abraham answered, "God will provide a sheep for the burnt offering, my son."  Genesis 22:7-8

I want a faith like that.  Abraham trusted that God would keep His promise to him.  He knew that God would provide.  I wonder what Abraham was thinking as he drew his knife to kill his own son.  I can just imagine myself thinking, "okay God...anytime now. You aren't actually going to make me do this are you?"  I truly think that if the angel wouldn't have stopped Abraham that he would have killed and sacrificed his own son in complete obedience to God's command.  He knew that God's power was not limited by death. He trusted God so fully even when he didn't understand what was happening!

I wonder if I was Abraham if I would have had the faith to tie my child up and put him on the altar.  I can picture myself trusting that God would provide the sheep up until I got to the altar, and then when I got there and didn't immediately see a sheep I wonder if I would have just turned around and headed back down the mountain.  Or maybe I would have trusted God up until the altar, but then when His provision wasn't exactly at my timing and exactly what I expected I would start to take matters into my own hands.  I would find my own "sheep" to sacrifice upon the altar.  I feel like I am so guilty of this in my own life.  I trust what God tells me up to a certain point, but when I come to the place where I feel like He hasn't provided for me what I think He needs to provide I start to take matters into my own hands.

I want to learn to trust my God so fully that if He calls me to make a huge sacrifice that I am willing to go all the way.  That I am willing to trust all the way.  I know that what my God has promised me is true.  I know that He will come back for me and that He gives me eternal life in His presence.  May I be faithful to sacrifice even my life for Him.  I trust and know that He will provide.  God give me a faith like Abraham and increase my love for your Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment