Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Darkest Valley

Last night before I crawled into bed I got to spend some time with my Holy God in prayer!  As I lied there with my face on the carpet my God brought to mind one of my most favorite Psalms!  If you grew up at Memorial Road you probably know this one by heart thanks to Mrs. McBride!

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul.  He guides me along the right paths for His name's sake. Psalm 23:1-3

As these verses that have been engraved on my heart came into my thoughts I couldn't help but think...This is where I am at right now!  I am lying in green pastures beside still waters!  I am so thankful for that.  Praise God for the rest, peace, and strength that He is allowing me to receive right now!

But as I began to think about the following verses my prayer became something that I can pray only because of Him being alive in me.  It is against every instinct that I have, but I truly believe that sometimes it is what is best.  I love where I am at right now!  I love the time of rest and peace that I am enjoying in the green pastures, but this isn't the place that I am meant to permanently live.  My desire above anything and everything else in this world is to know my God more fully!  I want to learn to cling to Him above all!  So my prayer is that if these green pastures become a place where my growth stops that my savior will lead me through the darkest valley.  I know that the valley of the shadow of death is where I learn to cling more and more to my God.  I know that the valley of the shadow of death is not fun, but that it is a place of growth.  I know that the darkest valley is a place where I must depend on Him to guide me through when I can't see.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows.  Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.  Psalm 23:4-6

May I trust my God so much that I can pray that in His timing I will leave the green pastures and go with Him into the darkest valley.  God if it takes going through the valley of the shadow of death to grow in my faith and dependence on you then I am willing to go there.  I trust in You!  I know that you will be there close beside me!  That is what I want more than safety, more than comfort, more than family!  I want You! I want to live fully dependent on you!  I want to dwell in your house forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment