Sunday, December 11, 2011

I Just Want a Clean Kitchen

As a child I was probably one of the most unorganized people who has ever walked this planet!  I never made my bed.  I never put up my laundry.  I just stuffed everything into my backpack and hoped that it would all work out when I got to school.  As a teenager most arguments between my mom and myself stemmed from the fact that you couldn’t even see the floor of my bedroom.  For some reason she thought that was unacceptable?!?  But then something weird happened!

I went off to college and I became a gazillion times more organized.  I think it all changed when I realized that I didn’t like it when my roommate’s stuff was all over the place so I better make sure that mine was all picked up!  Once I moved out of the dorms and into the apartments and had a kitchen that became a huge deal as well.  If there is one thing that I really don’t like it’s a dirty kitchen!!!  I began to make my bed every single day and make sure all of my clothes got hung up and that they were all hanging in color order and organized by season.  Organization became key!

I am still like that today for the most part!  Each morning I roll out of bed and the first thing I do is make the bed!  There is just something about a room with a bed that is made that makes it look so much more put together!  I try to keep the closet organized and never let the dishes pile up in the sink.  I like having a clean place!  I like having everything all put together!  I like organization! But…

Sometimes life gets a little crazy.  I told some of my kids the other day, “You can always tell how crazy my life is by how color coordinated my closet is.”  Well right now my clean clothes are sprawled out all over the floor.  They haven’t even made it to the closet! I have returned to my high school days.  If my mother were here she would have a fit because you can barely see the floor of my room!  Life is crazy right now!

I don’t mean crazy in a bad way!  I mean crazy in a way where I am watching God involve me in so many incredible things and I am spinning around like crazy!  He’s constantly filling my cup and pouring me out!  These next few weeks are non-stop crazy!  I look at my calendar and I see a breakfast with a different teen everyday of the week!  I look at my calendar and I see a different teen to be picked up from school each day!  I look at my calendar and I see endless opportunities to grow with my sisters in Christ.  I look at my calendar and from the outside it would look packed.  And it is!  But it works!

It works because I make sure that there is time in each and every day to sit and be still with my God.  To be honest there have been plenty of times where I have been in my apartment and could have hung all of those clean clothes up on hangers, but that would have come at the expense of losing that time alone focused on my Savior and His Word.  He is so much more valuable to me than a neatly organized closet!

So as the craziness of the Christmas season keeps us all spinning, may we never forget to focus on our Savior!  May we realize that time with Him is so much better than having a clean kitchen, a made bed, and an organized closet!  He has so much in store for us!  He is so real and powerful!  We must focus on Him!  May your time with Him be more valuable than a clean kitchen or an organized closet!  He is perfect and so good!  

No comments:

Post a Comment