Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fall on Your Face

I have come to realize that there is this amazing thing that happens when we remove ourselves from what makes us comfortable.  It seems as when our comforts slip away we find ourselves closer to our God.  Think about the times that you have felt closest to God.  When I examine my list each time has something in common, it's missing my "comforts."

There are a few specific examples that I can think of!  Honduras is a place like that for me  One night while I was brushing my teeth with bottled water I felt something on my leg and looked down to see a giant roach about mid calf.  GROSS!!!  I would have screamed but Amber was already sleeping and I didn't want to wake her.  I didn't quite have the comforts there that I am used to here in the States, but that place always makes me more aware of my God and draws me closer to His heart.  Comforts don't equal happiness!

Fasting is another one of those moments where comfort is removed but closeness to God is undeniable!  He has this way of filling the space of things we give up!  When will we realize that He is more than enough?

This last one is so simple but so powerful to me!  It has to be one of my most favorite things!  Giving up the comforts of a chair!  Sounds silly right?  But there is something so right and humbling about being face down on the ground crying out to God in prayer.  Nothing draws my heart closer to Him than falling on my face in prayer.  There is nothing wrong with praying sitting in a chair or a pew, but personally face down on the ground is where I feel closest to my savior!  I read through the Bible and time and time again I see examples of believers falling on their faces or falling to their knees in praise and prayer!

Something about being on your knees just feels right.  It's a gentle reminder to me that I am approaching the King!  It's a gentle reminder that He is all powerful and I am His servant.  It's a gentle reminder that He is God and I am not!  And even though the rough carpet isn't exactly what I would call comfortable it is there in that place that I am overcome with joy and love for my God and all that He has done for me!

It's amazing to me how much easier it is to hear His voice when I take time to fall before His throne.  It's amazing how much easier it is to open my heart to Him when I go to the place I am supposed to be!  I am reminded that there would never have been any way for me to save myself.  He did so much for me, and I should be falling before Him daily to thank Him! He alone is God!  He is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment