Thursday, December 8, 2011

How They Loved Me!

I’ve mentioned over and over again how blessed I was as a child and even am now as an “adult” to have the most amazing parents!  I know that there has not been a single day since I was formed in my mother’s womb that I have not been prayed for. I have never had doubts of their love for me!

Sometimes I wonder why God has blessed me so much.  Why did God give me two parents that love me unconditionally when some people don’t even get one?  Why do I have two parents with great jobs that can provide for me when some people don’t have money to put food on the table?  Why did I get two parents who love the Lord with all of their hearts when a lot of kids never have that example?  Why me?  God why have you been so good to me?

Sometimes I almost feel kind of guilty about it.  But then I remember that they are amazing gifts from God.  They have taught me what it looks like to pour out unconditional love.  Lets be honest, if their love was conditional there were plenty of moments throughout my childhood where I would have been in a pretty bad condition, but there love for me was always present no matter the circumstance.  I am so thankful for that!  They taught me how to love people by how they loved me and my siblings!

The ways they showed us their love are countless.  I can’t count the number of hugs and kisses I have received from my parents over the past 23 years.  There has never been a day that I have walked out of my house with my mom present without her saying, “I love you.  Be careful!”  My parents spent almost 20 years in the gym watching me play basketball.  Nothing says love like watching girls basketball!  My dad would spend hours with me at the gym rebounding for me!  My parents gave up time, sleep, and so much more to show me their love.

Tonight a dear friend pointed out to me a glimpse of maybe why I was blessed with such amazing parents.   She told me, “Maybe He gave you all of that so that He could prepare you to love others the way they loved you.”  And that clicked!  That seems like that should have been something so easy for me to see.   All along He has been teaching me how to love unconditionally.  He has been teaching me how to love my girls even when sometimes it costs me a little sleep.  He has been teaching me how to love my girls through hours of bleacher booty watching girls basketball.  He has been teaching me how to love my girls when they come to me with their pain and mistakes.  He has been teaching me how to love my girls even when they try to push me away!  He gave me two incredible parents who continually pour out their love on me so that I could learn how to pour out that love on others!

He is so good and His ways are so much greater than anything I could ever imagine.  He prepares us for what He calls us to.  His faithfulness endures forever.  His presence is inescapable.  He is God and He is good!    

No comments:

Post a Comment