Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Break my Heart for What Breaks Yours


Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you
Have loved me!
Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for your kingdom’s cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

This is a verse from one of my favorite songs by Hillsong.  As I sing this song as a prayer to God there is always one line that stops me and catches my attention.  Break my heart for what breaks yours, EVERYTHING I am for your Kingdom’s cause.  What a powerful and yet scary prayer to pray.  Do I really want all of the things that break God’s heart to break mine as well? 

I think about the things that must break my God’s heart and get a little overwhelmed.  The people 15 minutes from my apartment who slept outside on the streets in the cold last night, that has to break my God’s heart.  What about the orphans in Arkansas who have no one to call Mommy or Daddy, that has to break my God’s heart.  What about those families living 10 minutes away from me who don’t have enough money to buy food so the family goes to bed hungry each night, that has to break my God’s heart.  What about the children all over our country that are stuck in abusive homes, that has to break my God’s heart too.  What about the people all over our state who don’t know about the saving grace of our Savior Jesus because no one has ever shared the Good News with them, I think that has to break my God’s heart.  And these are just the things off the top of my head from my immediate surroundings. 

One of the reasons I think these things must break the heart of our God is because He didn’t create a world without creating enough resources.  There is enough to go around, but a small percentage of the world uses a majority of the world’s resources.  As Christians we can and should be the answer to each of these problems.  We can help the homeless find shelter.  We can give homes and families to those who have no Mommy and Daddy.  We can share our food with those who are hungry.  I’m
pretty sure I could stand to miss a few meals and still be fine.  We can be a voice for that child who can’t stand up for his or herself.  So often I think we look at God and ask why is there so much suffering in this world and He looks at us and asks the same question.  We are supposed to be His hands and His feet.  We as the Church are the answer to these problems.  But for some reason we have chosen to ignore these things.  It’s so much easier to pretend like our little world that we live in is perfect.  May our eyes and our hearts be open to those who are hurting.  May we allow God to break our hearts for the same things that break His heart. 

God has been working on my heart a lot recently.  He’s shown me that I still have a long way to go.  I’m thankful that He is constantly at work and that He won’t ever give up on me.  There is so much work to be done.  I’ve always been the girl to wear my heart on my sleeve.  Growing up you could look at me funny and I would start to cry, but recently it’s been different.  I’ve been praying that God would soften my heart and that He would break my heart for what breaks His heart.  He is definitely at work on my heart.  Over the past few weeks there have been multiple times where I have been sharing a story with someone or listening to someone tell a story and just start tearing up.  My heart just starts breaking.  I want to just grab the person who is suffering and hold them and hug them.  I want to fix it.  There is still so much work to be done on my heart.  I still am far from loving the way my God calls me to love, but I think by His grace He is making some progress on softening my heart.  I am still far from seeing all of His children through His eyes, but I pray that by His grace He will mold and shape my heart to look more like His.

I want to learn how to love ALL of His children: red, yellow, black, and white the same way.  I want to see them all through His eyes as His children.  I want to look to each of them and see a brother or sister who I long to spend eternity with.  I want to love every person that He places in my life the same way I love my parents and my siblings.  I pray that my God will fill me with His love and that I will allow it to overflow into the lives of each and every person that I meet.  I pray that He will break my heart for what breaks His and that I will give EVERYTIHNG that I have for the Kingdom’s cause.  

No comments:

Post a Comment