Thursday, November 3, 2011

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
and the things of earth will grow strangely dim
in the light of His glory and grace

I grew up singing this song, but not until recently have the words become so meaningful to me.  I was at a women's Bible study that I attend each Monday night about a month ago and we sang this hymn.  I hadn't sung it in probably a few years or at least I hadn't sung it with my whole heart in that amount of time.  Since that night I have had the opportunity to sing this song three different times at three different places and each time it speaks as a gentle reminder to my heart.  

Turn your eyes upon Jesus!  Look FULL in His wonderful face!  And the things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace!  SO TRUE!  When we turn our eyes to our sweet Savior the things that this world tells us are important start to disappear.  

I find myself so often getting caught up in the THINGS of this world.  They are just that, they are things, and when I stand before my God one day soon I don't want to try to explain why I thought those THINGS were important.  I catch myself almost daily desiring things of this world.  I want new clothes, I want new shoes, I want new dishes, I want new furniture, I want this, and I want that.  But as I think about these things I am reminded that I have an over abundance.  I am reminded that I have brothers and sisters who have no shoes, only one set of clothes, and don't even have food to go on the new dishes that I desire.  And I am humbled that my God has blessed me with so many things.  Why me?  Why did I get born into a family of an incredible man and woman who not only could meet every need I ever had, but covered me with unconditional love?  All I can conclude is that He gave me much, so that I could give much.

When I look at the face of my sweet Jesus and am reminded of His glory and grace, the things of this world lose appeal.  They can't even compare to seeing the face of my savior.  Sure I still have earthly desires, but what I desire more than anything else is to see my Jesus' face.  I desire to dwell in His presence.  I desire to know Him more.  And the more and more that I get to know Him the less and less I desire this world and the more and more I desire heaven.   

Why would I live for this world when I can live for eternity?  Why would I store up treasures here on earth when I can store up treasures in heaven that will last for eternity?

There are so many things that this world tells me are important.  It's important for me to drive a nice car.  It's important for me to have a nice house.  It's important for me to wear nice clothes.  It's important for me to be popular.  It's important for me to have a good job.  It's important for me to have this and to do that.  

This world tells me it's important to go to college, then to graduate school, and then if that wasn't enough that I need a PhD.  All for what?  So that I can get a good job and make a lot of money so that I can buy a lot of things that I can't bring with me to heaven.  Don't get me wrong, I think all of those things can be great if the motivation behind them is gaining skills to help impact the kingdom.  But I must remember that my Jesus took men who had no education and used them to impact eternity.  They had very little treasure here on earth.  They had one tunic and a pair of sandals, yet I believe they stored up for themselves far greater riches that will last for eternity.

I must keep my eyes fixed on my Jesus.  I must remember that He has already given me something far greater than I could ever buy.  He has covered me with His grace.  He has given me shelter in His love.  He has filled my heart with a joy that comes from knowing I have the best gift ever waiting for me.  When I turn and look at my Jesus and see His face the things of this earth lose their appeal.  When I look at the face of my sweet Savior I am reminded that I have something that can never be taken away from me, I have never ending grace!  He is so so good to me!  May we fix our eyes on our Jesus and be transformed into His likeness more and more with each breath that we take!

No comments:

Post a Comment