Sunday, November 27, 2011

How do we Thank Jesus?

This past week I made the trek back to Oklahoma City to spend Thanksgiving with my wonderful family.  It was such a blessing to be with them again.  These past 3 months away from them have been a challenge. They truly are some of the most amazing loving people you will ever meet.  As I was getting ready to go to bed on Wednesday night I stopped to spend some time in the Word.  My day had been filled with so many blessings from my awesome God and I couldn't wait to dive into His Word.

I have recently been reading through the Gospels trying to really focus on Jesus' words and what He said to those who were following Him.  Wednesday night I found myself in the middle of Luke 17.  It couldn't have been a more perfect chapter to reflect on with Thanksgiving being the following day.  As I read through the story of Jesus healing the ten lepers I was reminded of the one who ran back to Jesus to give Him thanks.

"He fell to the ground at Jesus' feet, thanking him for what he had done."  Luke 17:16

As I read that line it penetrated my heart.  He fell to the ground at Jesus' feet to thank Him.  He stopped what He was doing to run back to Jesus and thank Him.  How do I thank Jesus for all that He has done for me?  My Jesus has healed me of so many things.  He has given me so many things.  He continually blesses me.  But how do I thank Him?

So often I forget that I don't deserve any of the blessings that I have.  I don't deserve heaven.  I don't deserve to have a relationship with God.  I don't deserve forgiveness of my sins.  I don't deserve grace.  But for some reason my God who is rich in mercy and love pours all of these things out on me.  So often we think we are entitled to all of these things.  With our attitudes of entitlement come lives without gratitude.  We forget to fall to the ground before our sweet Savior and thank Him for what He has done.

May we remember that what we truly deserve is death, but because of our God's love for us we have the hope of eternal life.  May we never feel so entitled to blessings that we lose an attitude of gratitude. May we realize all that our God has blessed us with and all that He has done for us and fall before Him.  He has done for us what we could never do for ourselves!  Praise God for He is good!  His faithfulness towards us is amazing.  Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment