Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Disciples not Believers

Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth.  Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.  And be sure of this:  I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

So often we view the great commission as a calling.  A call to those who believe in Christ.  A call to those who feel led to the mission field.  A call to those feel led to ministry.  A call to those who are good speakers.  We say it's a calling for others, but this is so far from the truth.  The great commission can't be watered down to merely a calling to those who choose that it's for them.  It is a command to all who truly desire to follow Christ!  Jesus commands all those who are His disciples to GO. Go and make disciples!  Disciples produce fruit.  Disciples make disciples who make disciples who make disciples who make disciples who make disciples who make disciples until one day the WHOLE world has had the opportunity to hear of our awesome God.

When you produce much fruit you are my true disciples.  This brings great glory to my Father. John 15:8

Casey and I pray all of the time for our youth group that our teens won't just be believers, but that they will be disciples.  It's easy to believe all of the great things our Savior has done for us.  It's hard to follow His commands.  For this reason some people turned away and stopped following Jesus.  It's uncomfortable to follow Him to the cross.  Sometimes it's hard to give up what we can see in this world for something much greater that we can't see.  It's easy to believe in all the amazing and great things He brings, it's hard to follow after Him.  It's hard to keep all of His commands.  It's hard to be His disciples.  Thank goodness for His grace.

Jesus didn't tell us where we have to go, He just told us to GO.  He leads each of us to different places.  So often we forget that just because we weren't called to the foreign mission field doesn't mean that we aren't missionaries.  We are men and women of God on a mission.  Our mission is to make disciples!   Kroger, Walmart, my Zumba class, Morningside bagels, Starbucks, and every other place that I GO is my mission field.  I'm on a mission to share Christ with each of these people that I meet. We are surrounded with opportunities to share Christ with others.

One of my elders goes to eat at a certain Chinese restaurant a few times a month.  A couple of weeks ago we somehow got to talking about this place and he said, "Those people who work there don't know it yet, but they are going to become Christians."  He sees every place he goes as an opportunity to share Christ and make disciples who will make disciples who will make more disciples.

My aim as a follower of Christ is to love my God with all my heart, soul, and strength.  In response to all that He has done for me I shouldn't be able to help but tell people about my amazing savior.  I once was dead in my sin, but I have a savior who has conquered death and brings me life to the full.  This should be a message that I can't help but share!  I should do everything I can to follow His command and disciple those around me.

I have recently become obsessed with the song And Now my Lifesong Sings by Casting Crowns.  The last verse says, "I once was dead but now I live. I once was dead but now I live. I once was dead but now I live. Now my life to you I give. Now my life to you I give. Now my life to you I give. Hallelujah Hallelujah let my lifesong sing to you.  Hallelujah Hallelujah let my lifesong sing to you!

I pray that my lifesong will sing to Him!  I pray that my lifesong will sing for all to hear.

I pray that just as Jesus came and made/trained disciples that God will raise up men and women in our churches who will make disciples.  I pray that I wont just be training my teens to be comfortable believers, but that I will train them to be disciples who are willing to give up EVERYTHING for our awesome God and who will produce much fruit.  I pray that they will follow Him all the way to the cross.  I pray that they will be disciples who make disciples who make disciples who make disciples who make disciples until the WHOLE world has heard the sweet name of my Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment