Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Engraved

We all have those friends and family that we spend so much time with that we begin to be able to finish their sentences!  We start to look and act more and more like the people that we spend the most time around.  I remember a few years ago at Christmas we were playing our annual family game of Mexican Train dominoes (which I have won every year) and I had a moment that made me realize just how much I am turning into my mom.   It would be hard to find a better woman to turn into.  Something happened during the game of dominoes and my mom and I both started laughing and we started laughing the exact same way.  We both stopped at the exact same time and then sighed the exact same way.  Upon realizing what we had just done we started laughing again at the exact same time.  Over the past 23 years I have spent so much time with my parents and siblings that we sound alike and often say things alike.  I can usually tell you what my sister is about to say before she ever opens her mouth.  We know each other so well because we have spent so much time together.

I pray that this will be true of my relationship with my God as well.  I pray that I will listen to Him so much and read His Word so much that I will begin to look more and more like Him and that I will begin to sound more and more like Him.  I want my heart to look more like His.  I want to be so in touch with His will.  I want to love people like He loved.  I want to give the way He gives.  I want His words to flow from me as soon as I open my mouth.  But this can never be done through my power, it must be done through His Spirit for the glory of His Name.

"He must become GREATER; I must become less. John 3:30.  

I have so far to go and so much growing to do.  I know that this will never happen without effort.  He tells us that when we seek Him we will find Him if we seek Him with ALL of our hearts.  I'm so thankful that He doesn't hide from me when I come looking for Him.  I'm thankful that my Jesus has given me His Words to read.  What a blessing that He teaches me how to be more like Him.  It's not a mystery; He makes it clear! His word shows us how He spoke, loved, and lived.  May we seek His Words and treasure them in our hearts.  May we engrave them on our hearts so that when the storms and hard times come they don't just wash away, they endure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment