Wednesday, October 26, 2011

No Excuses

When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.  Luke 12:48

As I read through these verses and think about how much my God has given me I know that I have no excuse not to give much.  If you are sitting at a computer reading this that means you are part of the 22% of the world that has enough money to access the internet.  Most of you probably own the computer or phone that you are using to access the internet, which drops that percentage even more.  We are rich.  We have all been given much.  And to those who have been given much, much will be required in return.

So often we start comparing ourselves to the people around us. We say, "I'm not rich.  Look at what Susie has.  I don't have nearly as much as her.  She's rich."  The United States doesn't offer a fair comparison on the living conditions of the rest of the world.  News Flash, If you have enough money to have a roof over your head tonight and money for food to eat at least one good meal today then you have more than most people in this world.  And to those who have been given much, much will be required in return.

I have trouble believing that God looks at our wealth in terms of countries.  I don't think He says, "well she's only middle class in the United States so she really doesn't have that much." He's sees all His children as a whole.  We are all His and He cares about each of us enough that He gave up His son to die for us.  And to those who have been given much, much will be required in return.

We can do something about the fact that their are millions of little children with no food and no family all over the world.  We can do something about the little children living on the streets all over the world.  We can do something about the children suffering from preventable diseases.  These kids are not just statistics.  They are real people just like you and me.  They have names.  They have faces.  They feel pain and hurt.  They feel hunger.  They are somebodies kids.  They were created by our awesome God just like you and me.  How can we turn our backs on them?  We know that they are there.  We must realize that we have been given much.  And to those who have been given much, much will be required in return.

I was reading a book last night of a 23 year old single girl in Uganda who has adopted 13 orphans.  She was sharing how God commands us to take care of the orphans.  She then gave some statistics on how many orphans there are in the world and how many Christians there are in the world.  The final statistic said that if just 8% of the people in the world who claim to be Christians took care of 1 orphan that there would be no more orphans.  Just 8%!  God allows us to reach out and be a part of His plan to bring His kingdom to this earth.  He has given us so much.  And to those who have been given much, much will be required in return.

Physically we are blessed beyond belief.  I have running clean water!  I can open my mouth in the shower without fear of coming away with a parasite.  I bathe in water that most people in the world would LOVE to drink (before I bathe in it of course).  God has given us so much, but far greater than any physical blessing that He has given me, is the Gospel.

I have the Good News!  I have a savior!  I have the gift of eternal life.  I have a life here on earth filled with joy, peace, love, and so much more.  I have a song to sing.  And to those who are given much, much will be required in return.  I have been given far more than I could ever pay back.  In response to all that He has given me I want to give up this world and pick up my cross and follow Him.  I know that much is asked of me.  I want to sell out for my Savior.  He sold out for me.  I know that He has entrusted me with much.  I pray that I have the strength to be weak and humble and to give much to Him.  He has entrusted me with His story and I am so glad that He allows me to be a part of His awesome plan.

I must remember that when someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.

No comments:

Post a Comment